Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Heavenly Bodies

No, I'm not talking about Salma (although I am thinking about her). There is a great article in Wired about amateur satellite trackers. Using binoculars and orbital mechanics, these guys have tracked and published the orbits of virtually all artificial satellites, including secret military spy satellites. The article details their history and the attempts to track the super-secret NSA stealth satellite known as 'Misty'. It's a must-read and you can see their website at www.heavens-above.com. Check it out.

2 comments:

Jason W. said...

Nice posts! Glad to see new life breathed into the ole Chinese Room. And by the way, I did know what the Chinese Room refers to. Kurzweil spends about 973,281 pages in his latest tome slamming Searle. I can't rememeber much of what he said, but there was a lot of it.

Mike said...

I really need to read Kurzweil's book. It just doesn't seem like I have the street cred to be commenting on artificial consciousness without a good understanding of it. It'll be next on my list after I finish The Blank Slate and The Eternal Golden Braid.